Pillar pages are the foundation on which a specific topic-‘CCC’ (cluster / concept / category) is built. A pillar concept encompases all aspects of a ‘CCC’ on one long page. It’s purpose is to be a complete course, a “101” about the ‘CCC’ with plenty of breathing room for more in-depth conversations. Those conversations can be detailed elsewhere in “CCC” blog posts that hyperlink back and forth to the pillar page.
Pillar pages’ main purpose is to broadly cover a particular ‘CCC’, and blog posts should in turn address a specific keyword related to that topic in-depth. Think of a bicycle wheel, hub and spoke. The hub is the pillar and the spoke is the CCC. You can have 5 spokes or 500.
Which one do you think will seem most powerful in search?
- Blog posts can be written first on a variety of topics relative to future pillar content.
- Pillar pages should be accessible in main navigation and kept ungated.
- A PDF download should also be offered free (of the pillar page). Some people will like to download/print the article if they see it holds value.
- Add plenty of images, videos, and other media to intregue and keep the interest of readers. The bonus is that it also diversifies the content.
- At the top of the page, a 1 page nav bar should be added to quickly scroll to a location on-page.
- Include CTA’s to promote offers and other relevant gated content to gain leads.
- Use SEO best practices.
- Links Links Links. Add as many as possible both internally (your own site) and externally whenever possible.
- Include a “Back To Top” button at the bottom of the page to help navigate up and bot top nav bar.